Thursday, November 13, 2008

Violets with Dew Drops Watercolor

I absolutely love to paint flowers! This was a demonstration piece for one of my watercolor classes. The reference photo was from a flower in my garden early in the morning.
The secret to water droplets is to treat them like little balls or clumps and paint the shadow shapes. They reflect more than they are transparent, so some of the surrounding colors will be reflected in the high lights and shadow areas. The lavenders and purples were built up using glazes of French Ultramarine Blue, Quinicridone Magenta and Perylene Maroon. I had to soften the pigments with water at the edges of the petals as the color came to the center of the flower.
Violets have such character! It is almost as if they have faces.
If you would like to see more of my work, or learn about my classes in Melbourne, Florida, please visit my website: http://watercolorworksart.com

No comments: