Saturday, June 18, 2011

Watercolor on Canvas - Annuals

As promised, I took some process photos of this project so you can see how I work.

This is an 8 by 8 inch canvas which I painted for the Art of Eights Project through Art and Antique Studio and Gallery (http://artandantiquestudo.com/Artof EightsImages.htm).

I used Golden White Absorbent Ground mixed with water (1 part ground, 2 parts water). I applied this mixture onto my canvas in 4 to 5 very thin applications, allowing each application to dry thoroughly before I added the next.

Once all the ground was applied and dried, I created a pencil sketch of my subject. This piece was created from a scene in the Eau Gallie Arts District in a beautiful garden center.


My next step is to apply masking fluid to any area that I want to remain white. There are only a few small areas in this piece, so the masking went very quickly.

I also tested some quinacridone colors to see which might look nice in this piece.

More to come...stay tuned.